Tuesday 29 May 2012

Portraits - The Inimitable Dennis

Unit from ARD507, Last semester of year 2, Photography Option.




We had to produce a minit portfolio of a subject.  The brief initially said 4 images from a location that best represented the subject and 4 in a controlled lighting situation, as studio type portraits.  The aim is to capture the spirit of the person through formal and informal portraiture.

This was one of those occasions where as soon as I saw the brief, I just knew what I wanted to do.

I've met my friend Hazels' Dad, Dennis, on several occasions - and he just is the most wonderful character.  At Hazels' wedding, I'd taken a photograph of Dennis and Hazel, with Dennis in his inevitable flat cap, that had made me really want to photograph Dennis again - and this gave me the chance to do just that.

Dennis is 81 years young, and just the most lovely gentleman.  He is extremely active, walking miles around the country lanes,  and playing golf twice a week, at Padeswood Golf club, where he is a very well know and long standing member; He likes his pint, and has frequented the same local for many, many years.  He is a dedicated family man, with 3 daughters and 5 grandchildren, who clearly mean the world to him.  He paints, and he reads just about everything he can get his hands on, quoting everything from Keats and Shelly to the filthiest poems at the drop of the hat !  He loves his coffee and cakes, is really interested and knowledgeable about the local history of Summerhill, where he has lived all his life.  He served in the war, and was a boxer in his youth.  He has a wicked sense of humour, is extremely down to earth - what you see is very much what you get - and he is charming and possibly one of the biggest flirts I have ever met!

As you can see, he was probably the best of subjects to work with, with so much depth and character.  So, I approached Hazel who approached Dennis - who responded that yes, he would be my model - and did I want to do nude pictures of him? ! I told him yes - but he could keep his hat on :)
 

For the informal portraiture, I started off on a night out with Dennis and Hazel at his local - having done a studio session with him earlier in the day, I walked into the pub only to be introduced to everyone as 'This is Carol - she took nudie pictures of me today!'.  At a later date, we had a brief stroll around the outskirts of the village, and took a trip to Padeswood - where again, Dennis was greeted by every member we met with such warmth and humour, that it was clear just how well known and popular a local figure he is.

For the formal session, I booked the studio, and Hazel brought Dennis along, with her two children, Declan and Hannah - its obvious how important family is to Dennis, and how much he loves his Grandkids, so I really wanted to see if I could include them in at least some of the images and show how strong the bond is. I was  a little worried that Dennis would be uncomfortable in the studio session - as he told me, he'd never been a model before - but Dennis was just Dennis !  He chatted away, telling stories about his youth, his boxing, his war experience.  He recited Shakespeare and rude poems, and serenaded me with 'Help me Make it through the Night', and interacted beautifully and naturally with Declan and Hannah - I didn't feel like I had to give any direction at all, he was just so natural and relaxed.  I chose to go with low key, and black and white images - partly  because I didn't think Dennis would be comfortable with brighter high key lighting, but mostly because both black and white and low key are I think more flattering to a slightly more mature subject.

Once I had all the images, I was very happy with a massive amount of them, and found it really hard to select just 4 from each set.  I consulted with Colin, who also found it impossible to choose, and then with Stuart, who said that the number 4 should be interpreted as a MINIMUM number, and I should include however many I felt fulfilled the brief.


So, here are the images I submitted -with a couple extra.
















Then, from the 'formal' studio session - though its pretty much impossible to be 'formal' with Dennis :)









































































This was a module that I absolutely loved.  Everything keeps bringing me back to the fact that though I've yet to find a genre of photography that I don't enjoy on some level, area's where I work with people are the ones that I firstly, tend to enjoy the most, and secondly, tend to get the best results from.

I owe huge thanks to Hazel, Hannah and Declan, but most of all, to the wonderful Dennis, for these pictures.  I think I fell a little bit in love with Dennis - its such a shame that at my age, I'm probably a little old for his taste - sigh !

No comments:

Post a Comment