Monday 17 September 2012

Helfa Gelf - The Glyndwr Collectives

Helfa Gelf - The Art Trail - is being promoted as part of the carnival celebrations in Wrexham.  Taken from The Helfa Gelf Website

"Now in its seventh year, this free annual event is now spread right across North Wales with studios taking part in Gwynedd, Conwy, Flintshire, Denbighshire and Wrexham. It is a unique chance for visitors to peek behind the scenes, experience this normally hidden world and get to chat to the artists and crafts people about their creative process."

The Glyndwr Collectives . 

 Glyndwr University has two groups of artists taking part in Helfa Gelf - The Glyndwr Collective, and The Glyndwr Applied Collective - and myself and fellow photographer, Dawn Field, attended the opening show/exhibition, and also visited the studios at the university, to catch some of the artists involved .

The opening show was really enjoyable - it was fantastic to see such a diverse range of art work, and a reminder about just how many talented artists study at Glyndwr .







Some of the many talented artists, pictured with examples of their work


Katie Brute - and Thank you Katie, for the initial invite to the show, and your help .

Tessa Jayne Rogers

Clare Watson





Link to more of Clare's work

CDW-Ceramics
Rebecca Parrin

Malcolm Jones


















A few days later, I visited the studios to catch some of the artists at work .









This is Paul Davies, ceramic's student - Paul was kind enough to send me some background info on himself .



 "I am 53years old . I came to university later in life due to a back injury that eventually stopped me from working as an Upholsterer and also a production operater for kelloggs uk.Being dyslexic I was worried about the academic side of the course but I have had a lot of help and support from the university. I started my 1st year on a 2year Foundation course 2010/11, but at the end of the 1st year was asked if i wanted to transfer to the BA degree course of which I am just starting my 3rd and final year. "







Rebekah McEvoy


Sarah Jones


Links To more about Sarah's work

Flickr

Shop




Some examples of Sarah's work


 

Fellow Photographer Dawn Field is visiting quite a few of the studio's on the Helfa Gelf around Wrexham - after seeing the work produced by Glyndwr, I am really looking forward to seeing Dawn's images too .


Many thanks to all the artists of the Glyndwr Collective, and The Glyndwr Applied Collective - both the show and visiting the studio's were really great experiences :)

No comments:

Post a Comment