Friday 22 June 2012

Wrexham and the Olympic Torch

The work I did photographing 'Store', previously, has brought me some fantastic benefits - not least of which is that I got to meet some lovely people, who have been kind enough to think of me when events and occasions arise that would make for good photography opportunities, and allow me to gain more experience in the field.

One of these people is a young lady, called Estelle Woolley, who is a very talented performance artist, and co-manager of Chester Contemporary Artists.  She recently contacted me to explain that she would be performing in the Oriel Gallery, Wrexham, as part of the events celebrating the arrival of the Olympic Torch in Wrexham - and asked me would I be interested in coming along and taking some pictures?  As you can imagine, the answer was a very definite 'Yes'. She then contacted Steffan Jones-Hughes, who is Arts Manager at Wrexham County Borough Council, and another lovely person I met through 'Store', to check that my attending and taking pictures would be OK, and he very kindly said it was fine.

I had already decided to attend the event, with my youngest daughter - her school had said that they would have an 'open registration policy' that morning, enabling the children to go and see the festivities - so on Wednesday 30th May, we had a very early start - the torch was due to arrive in Wrexham at 7.40am, and my daughter and I were there for 7am.

Driving into Wrexham, people were already lining the route, there were flags and people in costumes - 'Superman' seemed a popular choice - and I was sorry that I couldn't drive and take photographs at the same time !  Arriving at Llwyn Isaf, we found it packed with literally hundreds already, and I really thought we would have trouble seeing anything very much, let alone me getting any photographs of the event.  I decided to seek out Steffan, to get the details of when and where I needed to be to photograph Estelle, and then go hunting for as best a spot as I could find.  We found him inside the area by the bandstand, that had been cordoned off for the event, and to my delight and surprise, Steffan ushered us inside it, and said I could take photographs from there !  Talk about a ringside view.  My daughter was in 7th Heaven, as she found a spot where she could watch, but not be in anyone's way, and I was told that I could move freely around the area, to take images, and just follow the Marshall's instructions when given, to make sure that I didn't get in the way either.

Luckily, a couple of professional photographers, from the Wrexham Leader, that I had also met at 'Store' , were also there, and they were extremely friendly and helpful, giving me the odd tip about where we could and couldn't go, and they and other professionals there, included me as part of the 'gang', so to speak - so I was pretty safe in following their lead as regards how to get images at an event like this, without overstepping any bounds - and watching them work was a great learning experience for me, too .

The atmosphere was absolutely fantastic, and it was just so nice to see so many people involved, and have a really good time . Initially, I just didn't know where to point the camera - the crowds, the Marshall's and organisers who were moving amongst them and doing a great job of interacting, the people busying away in the background, setting everything up so it ran smoothly - but gradually I sort of settled down, and started to look for potential photographs that would best capture the event.




















This guy, on pro jump stilts was a huge favourite with the crowd !


He was handing out wrist bands, and the 'grown ups' were as eager to get them as the children !






Then the Mayor, Councillor Ian Roberts and his wife, Mrs Hilary Roberts arrived


















As they arrived at and passed the stage, I spotted the guy on the jump stilts, trying to get my attention - then he started pointing at the Mayors retreating form, and mouthing 'Oh My God - its the Mayor!' - I couldn't resist a few shots -



The crowd were really enjoying themselves



And again, the Jump stilts guy made one little boys day -








































Just look at that beam of delight!

 
And I wasn't the only person eager to get photographs !


Heal - The Last Stand, a folk/Americana band, provided some great entertainment on stage .

And with the imminent arrival of the Torch, the crowd started to get very excited .





Then the torch arrived - it was carried into Llwyn Isaf by Mr Ronald Price, who's age varies from 81 to 83 in various news accounts !  He is from Llandrillo, and apparently still visits the gym twice a week, and delivers meals on wheels to folk who he affectionately describes as 'The Oldies' - I just loved how happy and proud he looked, and how it was clear he absolutely enjoyed the whole event .






The Mayor and the sponsor from Lloyds TSB then made speeches . . .


























And the crowd (and myself) were hugely entertained by a whole host of very talented people and groups . . .






The Mayor and his party certainly seemed to enjoy the show


Then Mr Price handed over the torch to Hannah Thomas . .  .



And she left Llwyn Isaf carrying it


And still the entertainment continued .








And then it was into the Oriel Gallery, to photograph firstly, The Wrexham Community Choir - these guys were brilliant !





And then, Estelles performance.

6 people from the audience were selected as participants. Each was given a selection of post it notes, and each post it note had the score for a section of the song 'Summertime' on it.  They stuck the notes anywhere on their faces, replacing them with the next one as they fell. Estelle stood in the centre, and played each section as she turned around the group.  It was a brilliant concept to watch - very entertaining - and great to photograph. The participants were not quite sure what to expect, and towards the end, when only a couple had the post it notes left, it was so funny to see them trying to dislodge them . . .










This was a really, really, enjoyable day - and a great learning experience from the photography point of view.  Again, I made some new contacts, and several of the images have been used by some of the groups I met - The Community Choir and the Fencing group both requested copies of the photographs, and intend to use them on websites/for publicity (I'm waiting for links to be sent, and will add them to this blog when I get them), Estelle was thrilled with the pictures and has used them on her FB page; Ysgol Plas Coch printed off several images for use in a display in the school, and I handed out a lot of business cards, which I am hoping will lead to more experience and opportunities.  A gentleman from Glyndwr also got in touch, and as requested, I sent the link - however, I am still waiting to hear if the images have been used anywhere. 

Estelle has also used several of the images on her Axis artist profile .



Big Thank you to Estelle and Steffan for inviting and allowing me to have such a close up view of the day - it was fantastic to see and experience the event and the atmosphere :)


No comments:

Post a Comment