Wednesday 20 June 2012

You Charge How Much ???

I read a friends blog this morning, in which she described a situation that, over the last few months, reflects my experience too.  Like myself, she is trying to start a new career, in a creative field .  Like myself, she has spent a long time doing work in exchange for just experience and (hopefully) exposure . Like myself, she has reached a stage where she feels she could and should start making some sort of a living from what she does.

Sadly, also like myself, she is discovering a wide spread attitude that whilst her work is good enough to be published, praised and passed around, once payment is mentioned, the reaction is all too often, one of complete shock and surprise.

What she had written was on my mind - and by sheer coincidence, I then had an experience that further emphasises this attitude.  I was hailed in the street by an acquaintance that I worked with, briefly,  about 4 years ago - and I mean acquaintance, I couldn't even remember her name !  She chatted about this and that for a whole - oh, 60 seconds maybe - then got to the reason why she had greeted me so enthusiastically.  Her daughter is getting married , and she wanted my phone number so she could invite me to the wedding, because - as she had told her daughter apparently - I take 'fantastic wedding photographs' ! I smiled and informed her that yes - I do take wedding photographs - but these days, I charge for them. A look of absolute shock followed, then an enquiry about the price - which brought a response that has resulted in the title of this blog

 "You charge HOW much?" ! ! !

This was followed by a marked lessoning in her initial enthusiasm, and she quickly made excuses and went on her way - without, incidentally, getting my phone number.

I'm assuming that I won't receive an invitation, after all !

This isn't the first time that something like this has happened . Since doing a series of studio sessions on children's and family portraiture, last year, I have been approached by several people who have seen the images, told me how good they thought they were, and  'offered' to let me practise on their children too - when I have responded saying that I expect to be paid a small fee, the response has all too often been that they rapidly back away.

There are still circumstances where I am really happy to 'work for nowt', I hasten to add -  when I am doing assignments for uni, or trying to gain experience in new genres,  to enhance my professional practise module, I don't expect anyone who is kind enough to be my model, or kind enough to let me into events, to pay me (though as I often hand over literally 100's of images from the events, all of which have so far been really well received, and which have often been used on web sites or for publicity, I have now stated that I would like to have my expenses at least covered in return !) - but for certain jobs, having done lots for free in the past and gained a lot of experience, I don't think its unreasonable to expect to be paid for the work that I do.  I also occasionally do pictures as gifts for friends - that is my choice, however, and not something that should be expected. After all, when dealing with people I know who work in shops or banks or hospitals or anywhere else, I don't expect the fact that I know a person to result in them giving me a discounted or free service when I am dealing with them in their professional capacity - can you imagine?  "Hey  - can you knock the cost of your wages off my bill, being as we are friends?".

But, as stated, even when potential 'customers' accept that payment is in order, the reaction to the price quoted often leaves me feeling that I am some sort of rip off merchant .

So - let me explain .

When coming to the price I quote for a wedding, for example,  here is what I take into account, and  what I give and do in return for the fee.

For a start, I researched the average price quoted in this locality for the type of service I deliver, and the price I quote is around 50% less than the lowest I have seen advertised.  Its around a 3rd of what brides are apparently quite happy to spend on their dress, and about 1/4 of what a couple will spend on a sit down meal for around 30 people at the reception.  The dress is rarely worn again, and the meal once eaten, is gone - the images I take will be around forever, as a permanent reminder of a very special day - so surely, that means that they are worth something!

I also have to take into account what photographing a wedding 'costs' me.  Travelling expenses, for a start - to pre meets, to look over the venues in advance, to the wedding itself, and sometimes to deliver the images afterwards.  Then, as a wedding is often a job that lasts several hours, I do have to eat and drink - if possible, I will bring food and water from home, but often the venue I am working in bars you bringing in your own food and drink, and I have to pay inflated prices for just a sandwich and maybe 2 bottles of water.  As an example, one wedding I did, where I worked at the couples request from 10am till 11pm, during a really hot day, I paid out nearly £15 in soft drinks. Like several others I have had the pleasure of photographing, incidentally, this couple insisted that I had a meal, alongside  their guests - which was so sweet, and very much appreciated - but certainly not expected .

Then there is my equipment - I need to renew and update my kit, every so often - obviously there is normal wear and tear when working - I need to make enough to be able to cover these costs, because if I don't, then I can't take the pictures!

For weddings and formal events, I also have to invest in professional/suitable clothes - no one would be happy at me turning up in jeans and a tee shirt, and I personally think it would be rude to do so - so, I have a 'working wardrobe' - not designer gear by any means, but clothes that are appropriate and that I wouldn't otherwise have to spend money on.

Then, the actual time and work involved.  I have a pre-meet with the couple, which can take up to 4 hours, occasionally more.  I really feel this is essential because the photographs I take are documenting such an important, and hopefully wonderful day, and I want them to reflect what the couple want, and who they are.  By getting to know them a little, I can suggest things and begin to work out poses, and hopefully, we can build a relationship that allows them to feel relaxed as I take pictures - which should result in really good images for them.  I ask for a list of the guests, and who they are to the couple, and make notes on particular photographs they want - the Bride may have a favourite Aunt that she wants to be photographed with, for example . I discuss how long I will have to take the images requested, and start to plan out how it can be accomplished . I usually take 'test' shots of them both - this helps them to relax with me on the actual day, and also gives me an idea of flattering angles, and again - possible poses and shots.  They get digital copies of any good test shots - often this means they get at least half a dozen portraits, in addition to the actual wedding shots.

I visit the venue(s) in advance - I talk to hotel managers, registrar's and Vicars and so on, and find out if there are any restrictions on when and where I can take pictures, or on the use of flash.  I find out where I can do the confetti shots, and also find out the time of events like the cake cutting, or first dance, so I can be sure to be in the right place at the right time.  Indoors, I try and get the lighting set up to how it will be on the actual day, take test shots and make notes. I source out locations that I can use within the venue, in case of bad weather.

Once home, I sort the notes and come up with a 'plan' for the day, that I use to ensure that I deliver exactly what the couple want.

There is usually a fair bit of time taken up in communicating with the couple before the big day - there may be queries or potential hitches, that have to be dealt with.

I provide digital images only - that can be in the form of a DVD, or a host site - and I will set up the host site for the couple, if they want me too.  I can also provide the images on a digital photo frame, or other media - obviously, the cost of the 'other media' is an extra - but the time taken to source the 'media' has to be taken into account.

On the day, I arrive an hour or more before the event starts, and I spend time checking that all my info is correct, and taking 'detail' shots - of decorations and the venue (s), and then of guests as they arrive.

Following what has been discussed and the 'plan', I tend to be there for anything from 5 to 12 hours - it depends on what the couple want, and the price quoted reflects the time I am there for.  There is no limit on the number of images I provide - I guarantee a minimum, but don't have a maximum.  So far, there hasn't been one wedding when I haven't delivered a whole lot more than the minimum I've promised .  I spend 95% of that time, on my feet and lugging my camera gear around . In between formal shots, I take reportage, and I also make myself available for requests from guests - often, they want shots of themselves and family, all in their finery, and I am happy to do that - to the extent that I have had guests hammering on the loo door, when I've been in there, asking me to come and take their picture please - and that's fine, its part of the job.  I deal with little bridesmaids who decide that they won't have their picture taken, occasional guests who have perhaps over indulged, and all manner of interaction that means I have to think on my feet, and get the job done properly whilst keeping a smile on my face - that's just part and parcel of every wedding, and I've said it merely in response to oft heard comment that all a photographer has to do is 'press the shutter' .  Throughout, I am so aware of the responsibility - its not like you can go back and shoot a wedding again - I really have to do my best to get it as perfect as I can - its too special a day to risk messing it up.  I am always aware that its a big thing to be trusted with getting those photographs, and how important they are to the couple and their family .  I love doing weddings - but loving doing something doesn't stop it being really hard work !

It doesn't end when I take the last shot, either.

I go through every image I take individually once I have got them home.  If it can be improved by a crop, or a bit of cloning, or other minor adjustment, then I'll spend a lot of time doing that - editing can take a long time - about  3 hours plus, for every 100 images, depending on what I do.  Then I'll do a selection in black and white, or sepia, or selective colour - or all 3, depending on what the couple want. I'll also do collages, that can be printed off and placed directly into albums - a lot of couples like the look of this, and I am happy to do it - but it all adds to the time I spend.  On average, I spend between 25 and 35 hours editing and sorting the images.  There is considerable skill needed to use editing programmes, incidentally, as well as the time - the assumption that  photoshop can magically turn all photographs into masterpieces, with little or no effort, is very wrong, I'm afraid.

I also tend to take an 'assistant' with me, to help set up shots, hunt down guests for specific photographs, keep track of the images I've been asked to get, help me carry the gear - and I obviously don't expect them to do it for nothing, so a cut of the fee goes to them.

I give a time frame for the pictures to be ready, and have never failed to deliver on time - in fact, usually, I am early.  Then the couple and I meet, they look over the images, and again, I am happy to make any adjustments that they like - often they ask for me to add type, or combine several images into another collage, for example. Then, when they get the images, they have the freedom to print off as many copies as they want, and share them with who they want - I don't apply another charge for copyright or restrict the use, the way so many photographers do.

When all of this is taken into account, a wedding is usually about 55 - 60 hours work - take off the expenses that I have listed, and the hourly rate I get is usually less than the  minimum wage, on the price I am currently quoting. No one else is expected to work for less than that - so can anybody please explain why I am so often expected to do so?

Please also consider that in order to take these pictures, I have put in years of practise and studying - I'm about to start the 3rd year of my degree - and I have a considerable student debt that I have run up in order to help me gain the experience and knowledge necessary to take these photographs, and hopefully, take them well. To dispel another often heard response that I have come across - having a good camera is important - but knowing how to use it properly, and  how to frame shots, judge the light, and get the right angles is even more important - so potential Brides and Grooms, please remember that when you shudder in horror at the cost of a professional, and decide instead to let your mate who's just bought a smart point and shoot take some snaps, instead . I know a lot who have gone down that route - and a vast number of them have so regretted it.

Another friend recently shared the image below - I hope after reading this blog, that not only will the humour in it be appreciated, but also that a lot more people will understand the sentiment behind it, and maybe stop and think about just what is involved in what I, and so many other would-be photographers, actually do .  For a while now, the work I have produced has been published on web sites, in newspapers, shown in exhibitions, used for publicity for groups and events, and generated really positive feedback - the more 'personal' work, like weddings and parties and portraits has been really well received,  and generated a lot of enquiries - if the work is good enough for all these purposes and uses and responses, surely it isn't unreasonable to ask that its also acknowledged as good enough to be paid for.












2 comments:

  1. Anything to do with money and it makes me panic.
    I've only gone and agreed to write for free again. When will I ever learn? Good job I love doing it.
    I have shared your blog on FB. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate tackling money issues too, Natalie - I've really tried to be more assertive about it for the last few months, but it isn't easy - and this morning, I was so angry at that woman's reaction. She made me feel that I'd been unreasonable, asking to be paid :( Coming so soon after reading your blog, this morning, I just boiled about it - the above blog has been severely edited, my first draft was sheer tantrum, lol!

    I just hope that it makes people think - not just for me, but for people like you and some of my fellow students - so unfair when we are made to feel our work has no value:(

    Thanks for sharing it on, hun xxx AND NO MORE FREE WORK - LOL!

    ReplyDelete