Sunday 26 August 2012

Peacocks and Waterfalls

Again, I have had the absolute pleasure of working on a project with the very creative Samantha Raynbould , Make up artist .

This shoot was a continuation of us using water - in the form of an actual waterfall - as the backdrop/location to the look created, and combined with Sam creating a 'fantasy look' based on that beautiful bird, the peacock.

The aim was for Sam to display her skills in these area's, and for me to produce editorial style shots, on location, using natural light and to create images that high lighted Sam's skills and pushed me to be more creative and innovative. We wanted the images to have a 'WOW' factor .  Once again, the model was the lovely Isabel Sophie, Anna Schwarz (Izzy)

Location was Plas Power Woods, in Bersham, and once there, Sam put the finishing touches to the make up.



I turned 'hair stylist' rather than photographer, for long enough to style Izzy's hair into this rolled up-do


Close up of eyes


The final touch was adding peacock feathers - Sam had bought up the entire stock from a large craft and hobby store - She had also crafted a 'peacock tail' which we could use as a prop/backdrop in some shots - it was a little small for one or two ideas, but a little work in photoshop to extend it, and itturned out to be incredibly effective .


The dappled light through the tree's was really effective, though very dark, so I used a flash and played with the settings to try and capture the light in a variety of ways that would accomplish what we wanted .







I also played around with over exposing, and then in post production, boosting the sats around the eye area . . . I quite liked the effect .



We then moved on to another area of the woods, stopping as we found locations and light that I felt could work to help create good, strong images .

I liked the way the spiky branches formed almost a halo .

Here, it was the shadows of leaves on Izzy's skin that I thought was effective .


Then, eventually, we made our way to Bersham Weir - the waterfall .  The light here was just fabulous, and the original idea had been to pose Izzy actually standing in the falls - however, recent rain had the water coming down with such force, that both Sam and I were very worried about this - Izzy, as always, was very game to give everything a go - she is an amazing model to work with, prepared to try everything, an absolute natural in terms of interpreting what is asked of her and moving and posing effortlessly .  However, we started off with shots just using the light, and the back drop of the falls to enhance the images .






Izzy was keen to have a go at actually getting in the water, but Sam and I were concerned about how safe it was . .  . so we compromised, by having Izzy stood at the edge and just sort of 'ducking under' . . .








Poor Izzy was blue with cold when she came out - but was still game for another couple of shots .



I was really happy with a lot of the shots we got - I think that they showed off Sam's skills, as well as feeling that my own skills and ability to gauge and use natural light, and to produce editorial style photographs in an outdoor location, were definitely improving .

Sam and I have quite a few other projects in the pipeline - I can't wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment