Sunday 17 March 2013

An Hour of Images

This was just for fun - I've seen several fellow photographers and friends taking part in 'a photo a day' type projects - and some of the photographs I've seen have been stunning, and I love the whole idea of getting a daily, very brief glimpse into a persons life.  This is a slight twist - for no other reason than I really wanted to take some pictures just for the sheer pleasure of doing so, I decided to photograph an hour in my day.  Just an ordinary Sunday, and the only aim was to take a series of pictures that tell a short story and that I found visually appealing.  I started to take the images, as soon as the decision to do it was reached, and I reached for the camera every time something about what I was doing, what I was looking at whilst I was doing, appealed to me - it might have been the light, or the texture, or whatever .

During the hour, I did what I often do on a Sunday - I started to prepare the lunch, I washed up and I started to iron.


















































Considering that I am a non-meat eater,  there was something about the texture of the raw lamb I prepped for my carnivore family, that was visually, quite appealing.  I liked the colour of the carrots, and the texture of the potatoes - and I loved the effect of the water hitting the food and the sides of the colander as I washed the veg.  Washing dishes, and the water hitting the bubbles caught my eye.  An accidentally broken wine glass occupied me for several minutes, and after watering a plant on my kitchen window, I got very into the way the light from the somewhat overcast day provided a nice backdrop for the flowers.

Doing this for one hour made me really look at what was in front of me, and consider light, texture and composition - and it was fun, and so nice to just take pictures because I wanted too.  I enjoy working to briefs, and producing specific work for clients - but, now and again, its good to remember that taking photographs needs no justification other than doing it just because you want to :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow Sue, got some great images here !!
    Might try this myself !!

    ReplyDelete