Monday 16 May 2011

The Final Module: Still Life

This unit initially gave me some real problems - I had no difficulty with understanding what was wanted - but finding a group of objects that I really liked was hard going. I tried combinations of ornaments, art work borrowed from applied art students, kitchen and cleaning products, and not one of the groupings I tried looked in any way cohesive or interesting.























Flicking through one of my daughters magazines one night gave me the inspiration I was looking for - an article listed 'essential items' for a night out - and it struck me that an assortment like that could be a strong visual image, and - on thinking it through further - if I gave it a title, say 'Girls Night Out', it could be made to work as a book cover, or a web page, or a poster, all things asked for in the brief.

Drawing not being my strong point, I nevertheless sketched out a couple of possible arrangements for the objects I planned to use, and then booked the studio.

I really enjoyed this session - I felt the objects worked well together, that they were visually pleasing, I liked the low lighting with them, and I could see how they would work to fulfil the brief . . .





























I was really pleased with the images and decided to go one step further and actually chose a final piece - and then use photoshop to present it as a book cover.

So - The Final Piece . . .



And as a book cover




I really liked the look of this finished photograph - I can imagine this as an actual book, for sale at maybe an airport for some 'poolside trashy reading' on a holiday.

I really enjoyed this unit in the end, and appreciated the chance it gave me to do something other than portrait photography in a studio setting -unlike the stock photography, the fact that you can give still life a 'narrative' was something I especially enjoyed.


Next: The Final Module: Human Landscapes .

No comments:

Post a Comment