Sunday 1 May 2011

An Educational Film - in more ways than one !

Just before the Easter Break, Dave Robinson asked if any of the year two and three students were interested, he had been asked to make an 'educational' video, about recycling, for a group of students with learning disabilities, would any of us like to help?.  Eager to have the chance to learn more, I along with 4 other students volunteered. So, on a sunny friday, at the end  of the first week of the Easter break, I found myself in Talacre with Helen, Gemma - and Daves 1, 2 and 3.

Now I had assumed that myself and the other students would play a fairly minor role in the production of this video -  but Dave R (Dave 1) had other ideas.

He gave us the brief - the video needed to show what materials could be recycled, the correct use of rubber gloves to keep the process hygienic, how to wash tins, bottles and plastics, placing them in the appropriate containers, how to dispose of food waste, washing hands and disposing of gloves, and the placing of the containers out for collection in a safe manner. When it came to editing - which will be a separate blog - we would have to incorporate a montage of photographs to show what happens to the waste when its recycled, and also a montage showing what goods could be made from recycled materials. ( I had done some research for this prior to the days filming, and bearing in mind our 'target audience', and had already collected around 20 images for the second montage).

And then Dave said that he was going to be there purely in an advisory capacity - and we could get on with it! Everyone was to have a go at filming, and everyone was to be encouraged to input idea's!

Gemma sister, Jo had very kindly offered the use of her kitchen and home for filming purpses, so we were good to go.

I began keeping notes of what we had filmed, from what angle and what type of shot , to enable us to keep track of where we were - after some group discussion,  I'd also written a check list of the various scenes we would need, so that we covered all the tasks/angles required in the brief. This was really useful for keeping track of where we were up to, ensuring continuity and ensuring that nothing was left out. We had to think about filler shots and cut aways', consider the light setting required for both indoor and outdoor, make sure every shot was in focus. Considering that I had never really met Dave 3 and Helen before - both are year 2 students - it was great the way everyone got along, with seemingly all happy to put forward ideas for shots and composition, and I felt the level of cooperation was fantastic.

All too soon, it was time for me to have a go at filming . Dave had previously given us a lesson on the camera we were using, a CanonXH-A1, and I was relieved at how much of what he had taught us had managed to stay put in my head. The thought of using it solely on manual was a little daunting, but to my surprise, I didn't find it as difficult as I feared - and I really enjoyed it!





Dave runs through the camera with us 




Dave 2 takes a turn














We used a variety of shots, both with the tripod and hand held.





















Filming the recycle containers being put outside for collection









We had till 3pm to finish filming and finished at exactly 1 minute to 3 - so bang on the deadline !

I really enjoyed this day for a lot of different reasons.  It was interesting and informative to be working on a project outside of the briefs at uni, particularly one that would be of educational value to a group of disabled students - having spent many years supporting young adults with learning disabilities, I could see how useful this type of project could be to them.  I really enjoyed working with students from other years - especially two as friendly and helpful as Dave 3 and Helen.  It was great to get my hands on a professional camera - and find out that actually, it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be!  It gave me more experience of the teamwork and cooperation involved in a project like this, and because we had a very definite window of time to get this job done, it showed me the importance of time management and communication. 

Many thanks to Dave's 1,2 and 3, and to Gemma and Helen for a really informative, and enjoyable day - I'm looking forward to the editing when we get back after the Easter break !

No comments:

Post a Comment